Sunday, May 13, 2012

race guide for newbies

casual runners often challenge themselves and one way to do it is to join a race. but joining a race for the first time is not always a pleasant experience especially if a runner failed to finish. failure to finish is not always caused by lack of practice and preparation. sometimes, it is caused by little mistakes committed during the race.

below are some of my personal observations that might be helpful especially for first timers.

  1. have enough sleep the night before the race. full rest will give sharper focus and more conditioned body. however, over-resting can make the body feel sluggish so avoid over-resting as well.
  2. drink coffee and eat banana before the race if possible and avoid carbonated drinks. banana will help avoiding cramps, coffee is the best legal performance enhancing drinks and carbonated drinks will make stomach go crazy.
  3. stretch and warm up before the race. i know it's a cliche but proper warm up and stretching prepares the body for strenuous activities like long runs. that way, injuries can be prevented.
  4. don't be ashamed to use the portalets if the need arises. it's hard enough to run so ease off the burden from the bladder.
  5. it's fine to look at other runners but don't let it be the primary reason for running. finishing is still the top priority. also, if it can't be avoided, do the flirting at the finish line. it's very embarrassing to flirt and not finish.
  6. run your own pace. there'll be faster and slower runners but don't let them dictate your pace. it's you against yourself so just run your own pace.
  7. it's not a sin and it certainly is not embarrassing to take a walk break. walking and stopping are different altogether so don't think that walking is equivalent to quitting. walk if it's necessary as long as you finish the race.
  8. listen to your body. keep in mind that the severity of injury is usually proportional to the pain it inflicts. so unless you think you're severely injured, just keep on going.
  9. eyes on the prize. there's no better high than actually finishing your first race. it's better than to run side by side with your celebrity crush. so, just go and get to the finish line!
always remember that running is a mental sports done by mental people. who in their right mind would run 42 kms? only mental people will do that. but i will tell you a secret. the best people usually are mental!(borrowed from the movie: alice in wonderland)

disclaimer: this is my personal list. your understanding is appreciated if i missed anything.

5 comments:

  1. No wonder I sucked on my first (and last) run. I was new in the company and I wanted to blend in so I joined the race. I thought to myself, “how hard could it be?” well, it almost killed me (yeah, am exaggerating).
     
    1.      ‘am a late sleeper. Doesn’t matter what time I need to wake up, I can’t (won’t?) sleep earlier than 11pm. I kinda find sleeping a waste of time.
    2.      Coffee – yes, Banana – no (but I love raisins), Carbonated drinks – oh yeah!
    3.      Can’t remember if I did some stretching or warm up before the race (probably not)
    4.      skip
    5.      I can’t imagine how anyone can flirt during a race? Seriously?
    6.      This is my downfall. I hate being left behind. I tried to run their pace. It almost killed me.
     
    I did finish the race (please be sensitive enough not to ask my time) but I thought I was dying. I was having difficulty breathing and my heart felt like its burning. I thought to myself then, “where’s the fun in this run?” I never joined any race after that.
     
    Mr. Blogger: You’ve finally written something I can relate to. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi kat!

      first, thanks for your time reading my post. it's really appreciated. so on to topic:

      i am not surprised at all with your list. my list are what i observed newbies (i am not an elite runner) and first time runners commit very often.

      and item number 4, i haven't personally seen flirting while running but i thought some runners do it. me and my friends talk about the girls we ran along with after the race so flirting while running is not really impossible, is it? ^_^

      now that you know better, would you give running another chance? ^_^

      Delete
    2. Sure, lemme check my schedule...oopps, fully booked. :))

      Besides, am not a "mental" person.

      Btw, "wonderland" gives a whole new different meaning to "mental". Don't yah think?

      Delete
    3. why am i not surprised? :P

      well, there are mental people who are bright enough to "wonder" and there are mental people stupid enough to try and actually "do it". ^_^

      Delete
    4. I "wonder", that makes me bright. You "do it", that makes you...never mind. (yep, am LOL!)

      We're both mental people, let's just leave it at that. (me retreating...LOL!)

      Delete